Monday, March 11, 2013

Redheads Return with Spring to Hammond Pond

Redhead Ducks
 Sunday afternoon I stopped by Hammond Pond to check out the birds while running errands, which also meant I didn't have my big camera. I didn't have high expectations as I didn't even know if the pond would be clear of ice. Fortunately it was. Upon pulling up I quickly made out an American black duck and a mallard pair, which were followed by numerous common and hooded mergansers. But I was totally surprised by three redhead ducks! One male and two females (at least I thought they were female redheads, though my duck ID is lacking). While redheads are rare here, Hammond Pond hosted five redheads in the fall before the pond froze. Also there have been a few redheads hanging around greater Boston all winter. While I don't know if these three were some of the same ones here in the fall, it is fun to think so anyway. I do hope they will stay with us for a little longer!

American Black Duck.
Red-winged blackbirds sang "conklaree"as the males tried to claim territory before the breeding season starts. I also noted a grackle, song sparrow, some starlings, and gulls. While I was watching the pond five Canada geese flew in to land and most of the common mergansers flew off to the southwest, they were truly a sight to see.  But my second treat of the day was a pair of wood ducks that flew in to the pond calling "jeet jeet jeet". Spring must really be here.



Update 3/11/2013 I just saw on eBird that the redheads were seen again this morning, so seeing that they spend the night, maybe they'll stick around for a little while

4 comments:

  1. Matt: I just found your blog and wanted to say that I enjoy what you are doing here. Spring is certainly on the way...
    --Josh (http://joshfecteau.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, maybe you can help me identify all my non-avian life where I have more trouble

      Delete
  2. Matt, I hope the redhead ducks and the wood ducks hang out until the weekend. I would love to see them! I'm going to head over there on Saturday and check it out. I've never seen a redhead duck. That is so cool. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find them you'll have to let me know! I just heard that they were seen again this morning, so fingers crossed.

      Delete