Monday, March 18, 2013

First Crocuses and Some Readings

First Crocuses of Spring
 Saturday morning I noticed the first crocus buds in the garden and by Sunday morning there were a handful of fully opened flowers. Even though the air had a chill and there is snow in the forecast again, I can’t help but feel the inexorable march towards Spring. Earlier this week I had to stop my walk to work just to watch three downy woodpeckers chasing each other around a tree. I couldn’t help wonder if they were males arguing over territory if one of them was a female who had two fine suitors.

As I was unable to get out birding this weekend I enjoyed the crocuses and incidental birds, but my most vicarious birding came through two readings. My first reading was from the Newton Conservators Newsletter and I enjoyed reading Pete’s article on the rare birds around Massachusetts this winter (including a LeConte’s Sparrow that Pete found himself). There was also news of the newest Newton park, the rail trail that will go from Newton Highlands to Newton Upper Falls. There was also lists of upcoming nature walks for the spring, so I'll do a separate post for upcoming events soon.

My second reading this week came from the Bird Observer. They are trying to determine if birders would be interested in an electronic version of the publication, so they made the February issue freely available online. I think that one of the most popular features every month is an article on Massachusetts birding spots, including all the details you would need to bird the selected location. But I was fascinated, instead, by the article about the Bicknell's Thrush. Actually, the article was equal parts about the biology of the Bicknell's Thrush and a history of  studying the thrush. Maybe I just like my birds, science and history rolled into one, but I thought it was a great read and if you haven't already seen it, definitely download the February issue of the Bird Observer and read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment