Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hammond Pond and Boston Harbor

Common Goldeneye
 I stopped by Hammond Pond earlier this week and found it very quiet. The only activity consisted of a few ring-billed gulls out on the mostly frozen pond and then a handful of blue jays, starlings, juncos, song sparrows, and house sparrows. All the passerines were at the overlook eating bread crumbs.

With not much to report here, I thought it would be a great time to post some pictures from the sea wall of the JFK Library. When the local lakes freeze up, I enjoy checking out Boston Harbor for a change of scenery and the chance for some birds that love saltwater. Even though the crossbills were my main reason for heading to the JFK Library, the harbor was a big draw too. I found some fun birds including brant (its nice to remember that not all geese prefer golf courses), common eiders, white winged scoters, buffleheads, common goldeneyes, a common loonhorned grebes, and red-throated mergansers.

Common Loon
I was hoping that there might be some red-throated loons to help me practice my loon identification. And of course, whenever I head to the salt water in winter, I'm always hoping for razorbills, dovkies, or murres. But of course any alcid would do! One of these days I am determined to track some down.





Horned Greb

1 comment:

  1. Matt, what a treat to see these birds. I've never seen a horned greg before and the golden eye is a beautiful picture. I whimper out this morning. Decided it was just too cold.

    ReplyDelete