Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cooper's Hawk in Newton Centre


Cooper's Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
 This morning while walking in Newton Center, I saw a hawk up in a tree by the T station. This exact same tree has previously held a red-tailed hawk. But I was excited as this bird was the wrong size, shape, and color for a red-tailed. This smaller bird had to be an accipiter and I hate narrowing them down to Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawks (Cornell Lab of Ornithology as a great page on this tricky ID). This bird however, made me think she was a Cooper's Hawk. She was remarkably big, about the size of a crow, had a rounded tail, and appeared to have the right body shape (large head with forward set eyes and torso that doesn't taper). It also helps that accipiters in our suburban area are more likely Cooper's than Sharpies. If you have any other thoughts on this identification let me know! Just as I was walking around to see her from the front, she disappeared when my head was turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment