Sunday, May 15, 2016

Spring Warblers at Hall's Pond

Black-and-white Warbler
 After learning that Haynes found a Cape May Warbler, along with many others, I decided to finally explore Hall's Pond and Amory Woods in Brookline. The fact that I often go right by the park on my way to work and a Cape May Warbler would be a life bird, made this stop earlier this week a no-brainer.

Before I even left the parking lot I spotted a Common Yellowthroat, Ovenbird, White-crowned Sparrow, and of course some of the obligate residents like robins. I quickly discovered that this small strip of woods and pond is a fantastic migrant trap, which of course plenty of others already knew.

Slowly over the course of the morning my foggy bird-song memory started to come back as I was able to become reacquainted with warbler songs and their local dialects. Eventually I was able to add to my warbler list with: N. Waterthrush, N. Parula, Magnolia, Yellow, Black-throated Greens, Black-throated Blues, and Yellow-rumps.

Despite all the colors and songs, my favorite warbler of the morning was this little Black-and-White male. I initially identified him from his repetitive, squeaky, two-noted "wheeza-wheeza-wheeza" song. But he was singing beyond the fence and in someone's backyard. With some patience and lucky, he eventually took an interest in me and he spent about a minute flying around me trying to figure me out. At one point he stopped on this branch and held stock still allowing for some decent photos even in the shaded undergrowth.

As he flew off and began singing again, I ran into another birder who had just seen the Cape May. Following directions I headed back to where the bird was seen. I searched in vain for another 30 minutes as no hint of the bird appeared. My conciliatory finding was a ghostly Veery silently skulking in deep shadows, always just out of direct line of view. I will have to wait for another day to find a Cape May Warbler.


A noon-time stroll in Newton Cemetery today was short on warblers but full of singing Baltimore Orioles. Given the lateness of the walk most of the birds were the usual suspects, though a E. Kingbird was a pleasant find as was a tree with an entire flock of Cedar Waxwings!


1 comment:

  1. HI Matt, it's so nice to read your recent posting. It sounds like a fantastic day and I love the black & white warbler picture you took. How nice of it to pose for you!

    ReplyDelete