Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Birding Blitz: Newton and Beyond

During March 20-22, I ended up having a few days with the little one so the two of us set out on a birding blitz for the last day of winter and first two days of spring. Our rules were that our outings had to be entertaining and fit between naps and meals. So it ended up that most stops were about 30 minutes and I could only bring my binoculars. Sorry, no camera meant no pictures. But we had a blast.

As birding wasn't happening as heavily as usual I'll keep thing short and with highlights. Also this post is delayed as the Northern Pintail took precedence for posting. 

Crystal Lake (checklist)
While the lake was still frozen a pair of Canada Geese didn't mind as they grazed in someone's yard. I was excited to find a tree with 7-8 Fish Crows a couple of blocks away all giving their nasal calls. I didn't hear the tell-tale "na-uh" but they didn't make any classic American Crow calls either.
(Update from this morning: The lake is now open and hosting a raft of Common Mergansers, both American and Fish Crows were calling too. checklist)

Drumlin Farm
I thought at least I'd catch up with some Eastern Bluebirds here, but alas the bird life was non existant that afternoon. I did enjoy getting to see the hawks and owls in the exhibits up close though. And the newborn lambs were a big hit with the little one. 

Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary (checklist)
I'd never visited before and was excited to see how beautiful Broadmoor is. The highlights were Eastern Bluebirds (checking out nest boxes already) and a Winter Wren. It has been a long time since I've had the pleasure of viewing a Winter Wren. I'll definitely be coming back. 

Charles River by Commonwealth Ave. (checklist)
Highlights were definitely the diving ducks with Ring-necked Ducks, Common Mergansers, and Buffleheads

Hemlock Gorge
The only bird life was a faint call note that I couldn't make out, but that didn't detract from the natural beauty of Hemlock Gorge on my first visit. 

Lost Pond (checklist)
The pond was still frozen, but singing Juncos and House Finches were refreshing signs of spring. 

Hammond Pond (checklist)
I was very excited to see that the ice was finally breaking up! Seeing Canada Geese and a pair of Mute Swans in the open water on the far side gave me a ray of hope. Hammond Pond did not disappoint with Ring-necked Ducks, Common Mergansers, Mallards, and 6 Wood Ducks! The little one was so excited by the Ring-billed Gulls wheeling overhead or when the ducks would fly right past us. Just as we were leaving a Turkey Vulture teetered as he soared over the pond on his dihedral wigs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment