Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mergansers Retern to Hammond Pond

Hooded Mergansers
  I birded around Hammond Pond today a little bit after noon. Definitely not prime birding time, but I was mostly interested in the waterfowl especially as the weather has been getting chillier. I was not disappointed. The hooded mergansers are back and I had fun watching them dive for fish between the mudflats. I think that these have to be one of the most visually striking birds in the states. Another surprise was a young double-crested cormorant sleeping on a mud flat. Also present were a single Canada goose and several mallard pairs. In the back corner I thought I could just make out a common merganser too. More to the woods there were blue jays, chickadees, titmice, juncos, robins and a white-breasted nuthatch. I also got a great close-up view of a gorgeous male downy and his red patch. I also thought I might have heard the three noted "tsee-tsee-tsee" of a golden-crowned kinglet. I am certainly going to enjoy seeing what this winter might bring to our ponds and lakes!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear there are hooded mergansers about. I just love them. I'll have to check the river next time I'm at the park.

    ReplyDelete