Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Plovers, Sandpipers, and Herons at Hammond Pond

White-breasted Nuthatch
 I've already mentioned the spotted sandpipers that frequent Hammond Pond, but I wanted to head back and see if I could find more shorebirds. One of the effects of the eutrophication of Hammond Pond is that there are some very shallow mud banks where silt and run off are beginning to fill in the pond. When the water level is low, has happens frequently in late summer, the mud flats are exposed, making this a great stopping point for migrating shorebirds. While eutrophication may not be good for the health of the pond, it does have a nice side effect for birders.

On my recent visit to Hammond pond I caught a number of Canada geese and a few mallards before I could faintly make out a green heron across the pond. In the parking lot I made out some white breasted nuthatches, chickadees, and a goldfinch.  At the  overlook on the North side of the pond, I could make out no fewer than three green herons and a great blue. On the mudflats to the east there were several killdeer making a ruckus. My pictures of the shorebirds all turned out horrible due to the glaring sun and distance. A few spotted sandpipers were working the lily pads and mud flats and occasionally flew around the pond in search of a new foraging area. But then I noticed maybe five small sandpipers that were dwarfed by the killdeer. I think they were least sandpipers, but I have trouble identifying peeps (and other shorebirds for that matter). In a previous summer I even caught a semipalmated plover which was quite a surprise. For me these shorebirds may be some of the best in Newton (though I haven't fully explored the purgatory cove area much...) making Hammond Pond fun birding spot in the late summer and early fall.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt!

    Wish I had time to get over there. Sounds like the shore birds were having quite a party over there. We didn't see the blue heron or the green herons at Nahanton - maybe they've been hanging out at Hammond Pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they were a lot of fun. But maybe I'll have to try for some of Nahanton's residents soon.

    ReplyDelete