Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Night-Heron at Boston Public Gardens

Black-crowned Night-Heron
  I was enjoying the cooler weather this afternoon while walking around Boston and the Public Gardens. Initially, a fenced off section of the shore drew in my attention. As it turns out the mute swans had made a nest of twigs and sticks on the banks, but in addition to a preening swan, many mallards were making use of the undisturbed location. I turned to go when a little movement on the island in the pond caught my attention. When I was finally able to get a good look it turned out to be a black-crowned night-heron! I was pleasantly surprised by this accidental find in the middle of the city. So far, I have only had luck finding them in Boston, with this being my third sighting. I know that Haynes and Suzette have seen black-crowned night-herons at the vernal pool in Nahanton (you can see Suzette's picture here) and eBird shows sightings at Hammond Pond, Chestnut Hill Reservoir, and Auburndale Park.  Before too long I'll have to run into a night heron in Newton between the Charles and all our ponds.

3 comments:

  1. Matt, that is so cool. Who would ever think you would see a black-crowned night heron downtown...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also very surprised to find a Night Heron at Boston Public Garden Sept. 10 at 2:00 PM (flew from the same island to a tree at the pond edge). Then appeared 2 juveniles chasing each other in air on the island. Then one more adult moved up into a tree on the island, sitting above the foliage of the small tree while a swan boat with tourists passed underneath. Then one of the juveniles appeared on the island ramp, right behind one of the Mute Swans. Ironically, the famous island from "Make Way for Ducklings" has now made way for a family of Night Herons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine,

      Thanks for sharing your observations. I have yet to see juvenile night-herons so maybe I'll have to head back to the Public Gardens to see if I can't find this family!

      Delete